Holiday celebrations may look a lot different in 2020, but this Halloween weekend, you can safely join a socially distanced or virtual bourbon tasting with Lyons, Colorado-based Spirit Hound Distillers.
In honor of the distillery’s latest release, a handcrafted bourbon aged for 3 years on American oak barrels, Spirit Hound is hosting a two-day tasting event on Oct. 31 and Nov. 1. With a purchase of a bottle or a 1.5-ounce taster, bourbon lovers can join in-person or online to learn about the latest Spirit Hound release from Co-owner and Head Distiller Craig Engelhorn while they enjoy.
This rare Three-Year Bourbon is distilled the Spirit Hound way on two hand-built-from-scratch stills designed by Engelhorn and constructed by Engelhorn and his partners. The bourbon has been aged for more than 3 years in new, fully charred American oak barrels before being bottled in an unblended “single-barrel” fashion. With a grain bill made up of 60 percent corn, 20 percent Colorado-sourced malted barley, and 20 percent rye, this is a high-rye bourbon with strong notes of black cherry and stone fruit.
“We used our same hand-crafted process and copper stills for the Three-Year Bourbon, but I’ve been experimenting with high-rye recipes,” says Engelhorn. “As our first bourbon release, we are excited to see such unique flavors. Using 20 percent rye in our recipe made this a flavorful and delicious, fruity bourbon.”
All purchases of this limited release include a virtual tasting experience at 6 p.m. on Nov. 1, led by Engelhorn, where bourbon lovers can learn more about the bourbon and how it was made.
Presale Bottle Curbside/Pickup Details
What: Spirit Hound Distillers Three-Year Bourbon Release
Date: Saturday, Oct. 31 & Sunday, Nov. 1
Time: Noon to 8 p.m. both days
- Limited number of 750 ml bottles available for pre-purchase and purchase onsite for $64 each
- Presale bottle online orders beginning on Monday, Oct. 19 here. To-go cocktails, flights and other bottles can be pre-ordered as well
- Contactless presale curbside pick-up is available for in-vehicle drive-through from noon to 7 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 31 & Sunday, Nov. 1
- Sit down service by reservation only, socially distanced inside of the tasting room or on Spirit Hound’s spacious outdoor patio. Reservations can be made here. The Arryved app is available for on-site sit down service, delivering a handsfree tab and checkout solution from the safety of your personal phone/device
- A limited number of 1.5-ounce pours will be available during sit down service for $8 each
- With a bottle purchase comes an invitation to an online tasting with head distiller, Craig Englehorn, at 6 p.m. on Nov. 1
- Food trucks will be serving up tasty menus on both days
Costumes are optional for Spirit Hound Distillers’s release party and virtual bourbon tasting. Pick up a bottle or a taster of this high-rye bourbon on Halloween weekend (Oct. 31-Nov. 1) at Spirit Hound’s riverside distillery and tasting room at 4196 Ute Hwy, Lyons, CO.