Registration for the National Honey Board’s free Honey Spirits Competition is open now through Friday, Aug. 27. The annual Honey Spirits Competition, hosted by the National Honey Board, recognizes the best spirits in the United States that use honey.
This year’s competition features 12 categories: vodka, gin, bourbon/whiskey, moonshine, rum, tequila/mezcal, liqueurs/specialty spirits, brandy, spirits distilled from honey, spirits distilled from honey — flavored, packaged cocktails, and design/packaging
Entries must be commercially available in the United States, and distilleries may submit multiple entries per category, but each spirit may only be entered in one category. To register, visit honeyspiritscompetition.com.
“We’re excited to see the lineup of made-with-honey spirits at the 2021 competition,” Catherine Barry, National Honey Board’s director of marketing, said in a press release. “From the boom of RTD cocktails to continued consumer demand for flavored whiskeys with honey, we’re seeing more innovation than ever from distillers that use honey either as a flavor or distillate.”
Last year, more than 80 made with honey spirits competed for honors, and when the judging was complete, Egg Harbor, Wisconsin-based Hatch Distilling Co.’s aptly-named Gin took home the top prize. It was the first time a spirit distilled from honey won Best of Show.
2020 Gold Medal Recipients
- Spirits Distilled from Honey – Flavored: Gin – Hatch Distilling Co. (Best in Show), Egg Harbor, Wisconsin
- Bourbon/Whiskey: Western Pacific American Honey Whiskey – Western Pacific Winery & Spirits, Oakland, California
- Honey Liqueurs/Specialty Spirits: Amaro – Admiralty Distillers, Port Townsend, Washington
- Honey Liqueurs/Specialty Spirits: Hazelnut Honey Bourbon Ratafia – Mountain State Spirits, Bridgeport, West Virginia
- Honey Liqueurs/Specialty Spirits: Cold Brew Coffee Liqueur – Honey House Distillery, Durango, Colorado
- Spirits Distilled from Honey: Yellow Label – Domeloz Somel, Madison, Wisconsin Spirits Distilled from Honey: Barrel Finished Honey Spirit – Up North Distillery, Post Falls, Idaho
- Spirits Distilled from Honey: 12th Hawaii Distiller Distillers Reserve – 12th Hawaii Distiller, Kailua Kona, Hawaii
- Spirits Distilled from Honey – Flavored: Dawn Fire – White Winter Winery, Inc., Iron River, Wisconsin
- Design/Packaging: Detroit City Distillery Honey Bourbon – Detroit City Distillery, Detroit, Michigan