A new Four-Year Rye Whisky launches from Spirit Hound Distillers this month. The latest release from the Colorado-based distillery is a part of the Spirit Hound Barrel Program, a unique community-based celebration of the distillery.
The whisky is distilled the Spirit Hound way on two hand-built-from-scratch stills designed by Engelhorn and constructed by Engelhorn and his partners. It has been aged for more than 4 years in new, fully charred American oak barrels before being bottled in an unblended “single-barrel” fashion. With a grain bill made up of 70-percent rye and 30-percent Colorado-sourced malted barley, this is a high-rye whisky with strong notes of black cherry and stone fruit.
“The Four-Year Rye Whisky is our second rye-focused release, following the high-rye portfolio of the Three-Year Bourbon released last year,” says Spirit Hound Co-owner and Head Distiller Craig Engelhorn. “Getting to use rye in our recipes has been a fun process and I’m proud with the flavors present in the Rye Whisky.”
Every bottle purchase comes with an invitation to join head distiller, Craig Englehorn, at 6 pm on Sunday, Feb. 21 for an online tasting event.
When the distillery first opened, Spirit Hound offered a program for whisky lovers to purchase a barrel, which helped to fund startup costs, grain and barrels.
“The whisky community and the Colorado community are so important to the Spirit Hound team,” says Engelhorn. “We are blown away by the support we’ve received and want to continue to make our fans feel like family.”
While funding is no longer a need for the distillery, Spirit Hound fans remain an integral piece of the distillery’s culture and have continually requested to become barrel owners. This Four-Year Rye Whisky release is special in part because of the whisky community and the fans who now have their names on Spirit Hound barrels.
RELEASE EVENT DETAILS
What: Spirit Hound Distillers Four-Year Rye Whisky
Date: Saturday, Feb. 20 & Sunday, Feb. 21
Time: Noon to 8 p.m. both days
- Limited number of 750 ml bottles available for pre-purchase and purchase onsite for $64 each
- Presale bottle online orders are available online here on Feb. 15 at 8 a.m. To-go cocktails, flights and other bottles can be pre-ordered as well
- Contactless presale curbside pick-up is available for in-vehicle drive-through from noon to 2 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 20 and Sunday, Feb. 21
- Sit down service by reservation only, socially distanced inside of the tasting room or on Spirit Hound’s spacious outdoor patio, which includes seating inside of a heated repurposed shipping container. Reservations can be made here. The Arryved app is available for on-site sit down service, delivering a handsfree tab and checkout solutio n from the safety of your personal phone/device
- Every bottle purchase comes with an invitation to an online tasting with head distiller, Craig Englehorn, at 6 p.m. on Sunday, Feb. 21st
- Food trucks will be serving up tasty menus on both days: Shinkyu No dumpling cart on Saturday from 2-8 pm and The Red Checkered Tablecloth comfort Italian on Sunday from 12-7 pm